- 250g yellow chana daal, washed and soaked for 2 hours
- half tsp red chilli powder
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- quarter tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp olive/sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- half tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Place the lentils in a pressure cooker and cover with 4 glasses of water. Let it steam.
- Add the chilli powder, garlic, turmeric and bring to the boil. Cover and cook over a low heat for approximately an hour, until tender.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown. Reserve a few fried onions to garnish. You can add extra garlic to the onions for more flavour.
- Now add the green chilli. Stir through the lentil mixture, then garnish with the onions, garam masala and coriander.