Gluten-free pizza is extremely simple to make. This recipe is extremely healthy and can be made veg or non-veg and customised according to your favourite toppings.
For the pizza base
- 300g Sugar Watchers gluten-free Low GI Flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 7g dried yeast (You can use baking powder as an alternative)
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 300ml warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (You can also use lime/lemon juice)
For the topping
- 4 tbsp passata (You can also use homemade tomato puree)
- 10 black olives, pitted and halved (Optional)
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeño chilli slices or green chillies (drained)
- 4 tbsp roasted red peppers, sliced good pinch dried oregano
- 10 fresh basil leaves or cilantro (Optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125g grated mozzarella cheese or grated paneer for an healthier option
For Non-veg toppings:
- Pepperoni slices (Or any another form of sliced meat - chicken, etc)
You can also choose any toppings of your choice
For the pizza base, mix the flour, flaxseed, yeast, baking powder, sugar and salt into an outsized bowl.
Add warm water, oil and vinegar and, employing a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, beat well for 1–2 minutes. The mixture won't appear as regular pizza dough but more like mushy at this stage. Cover the bowl with cling film or a clean dish towel and leave in a dry place for 1 hour, or until it is doubled in size.
Preheat the oven to 220–230 degrees. Place a baking tray on the highest shelf of the oven to heat up.
Prick one pizza base a couple of times with a fork. Using the baking paper, slide the bottom carefully onto the recent baking tray. Cook for 9–10 minutes, or until beginning to turn golden at the sides . Remove from the oven and cook the second base within the same way, ensuring the tray is hot before sliding on the second base.
Reduce the oven temperature to 200C/180 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together the tomato purée with salt and pepper.
Spread the tomato mixture over the pizza bases. Sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese or paneer, olives and jalapeños and arrange the pepperoni and strips of roasted red pepper on top.
Season with black pepper and a pinch of dried oregano and cook each for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Garnish with basil or cilantro and serve immediately.